How do I know if you are experiencing Trauma?
Your doctor can help you find out. Call your doctor if you have any of these problems for at least 1 month:
- Suffering from bad dreams
- Feeling like the scary event is happening again (flashbacks)
- Experiencing scary thoughts you can’t control
- Staying away from places and things that remind you of what happened
- Feeling worried, guilty, or sad
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Feeling on edge
- Fighting with loved ones or frequent angry outbursts
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others
- Feeling alone.
Children who experience Trauma may show other types of problems. These can include:
- Behaving like they did when they were younger
- Being unable to talk
- Complaining of stomach problems or headaches a lot
- Refusing to go places or play with friends.
When does Trauma start?
Trauma experiences can happen at any time. Signs you’ve experienced major Trauma may start soon after a frightening event and then continue. Other people develop new or more severe signs months or even years later.